My children love these little rolls, especially as they are vegetarian. Puy or Green lentils are so full of fibre and resemble sausage rolls too. If you try to make a longer roll, to save time, I find they do fall apart very easily, so individual ones are so much better. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do….
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 onion sliced finely
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2-3 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1-2 tsp curry powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- Puff pastry sheets
- 1 beaten egg
- Cook lentils in plenty of boiling water for 20 minutes then drain. Roughly puree in food processor or with a hand blender.
- Lightly fry leek until golden then add garlic and ginger and stir for a few minutes.
- Add curry powder and stir through.
- Combine lentils, leek mixture, egg, breadcrumbs and coriander in a large bowl.
- Cut pastry sheets into small squares and brush edge with beaten egg.
- Put a little of the lentil mixture in the centre and fold the pastry over. Seal and trim the edge.
- Brush top with beaten egg and bake on a greased tray for 20 minutes at 230°c Gas Mark 8.
Serve with a selection of salsa, or dips.
Lunch box treats