The sun is shining and finally we are seeing a little warmth, I have been picking baby spinach out of the tubs, so had decided to make a summery salad to eat. Full of iron and vitamin C to give our bodies a well earned boost.
80g Fresh spinach (I use the fresh spinach from my garden)
2 oranges, peeled and sliced
1 pomegranate, peeled and seeded
25g Flaked and whole Almonds
60ml pomegranate juice
2 tsp (10ml) of Womersley Orange & Mace vinegar
Juice of one orange
1 tsp of clear honey or agave nectar
30ml extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper-to taste
- Add fresh spinach to a large salad bowl. Add the oranges, pomegranate seeds, and almonds.
- To make the dressing-in a small bowl add the juice, vinegar, orange juice, and honey. Whisk in the olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and serve.
Toasted Seeds and Herb Salad
100g mixed salad leaves, e.g.Oak leaf, radicchio, lambs lettuce, beetroot leaves
50g mixed salad herbs e.g. Chervil, coriander, basil and rocket
25g pumpkin seeds
25g sunflower seeds
5g sesame seeds
60ml extra virgin olive oil
15ml balsamic vinegar
2.5ml or 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
sea salt & freshly ground pepper
To make dressing put all of the ingredients in a jam jar and shake until combined.
Put salad and herbs leaves into a large bowl.
Toast off seeds in a dry frying or by placing them under a grill for a minute to colour slightly. Let them cool before adding to leaves.
Pour over your dressing, toss until coated and serve.
Servings: 4 side dish portions
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 4floz orange juice
- 3 tbsp pomegranate syrup
- 1 tub Knorr vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp Chinese 5-spice
- 1 tbsp soya margarine
- 1 lb baby carrots
- sliced green onions or chives, for garnish (option)
- Add the first five ingredients to a small saucepan over low heat. Whisk sauce until the margarine has melted and the stock dissolves completely. Remove from heat.
- Place baby carrots in a 8.5″x11″ baking dish in a single layer. Pour orange juice mixture over carrots. Toss to coat.
- Place baking dish in preheated 375F/ 190c oven.
- Bake carrots 50-60 minutes, or until glazed and tender.
- Reduce oven by 10 minutes if using a fan oven.
- Stirring carrots & scraping the bottom of the pan with a rubber spatula every 10-15 minutes to prevent burning and help evenly glaze.
- Remove from oven and scrape glazed carrots into a serving dish.
- Garnish with sliced green onions or chives. Add a little fresh pomegranate too.
- Serve hot with rice or mashed potato.
Freshly picked this morning, so a quick lunch to make before the rest of the day’s activities. Honey and Coarse Grain Mustard drizzled over the salad leaves, sprinkled with fresh raspberries and crumbled Goats cheese or a slice of it just grilled, melting and oozing under the heat.Read More
Working in the glorious sunshine really sets an appetite so lunch today is roasted Mediterranean vegetables (peppers, courgettes, red onion and aubergine), grilled Halloumi and a drizzle of Salsa Verde. This is such a quick recipe to do and if you love anchovies you can add them too.
I have also put on Apple and Pineapple rings to serve with a little crème fraiche for a refreshing dessert.