This recipe can be used on any joint of meat ham, gammon, pork or turkey.
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp of Womersley Orange & Mace Dressing
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 lbs boneless pork loin roast
- Walnut, Cranberry & Clementine Stuffing
- Spread stuffing mixture over surface of the pork (see recipe below).
- Starting with the smallest side of the meat (which should be in the shape of a rectangle).
- Roll up tightly and secure with kitchen string.
At this point you can wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate if you are making ahead.
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; rub over roast. Sprinkle over dressing.
- In a large pan, heat oil; brown roast on all sides. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting tray. Add Orange & Mace dressing.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees F for 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- 1.8kg (4 lb) lean boneless lamb shoulder
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml (2 tbsp) dried mixed herbs
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- For the Stuffing:
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 90ml (6 tbsp) freshly chopped mint
- 2 (100g) bags watercress, roughly chopped
- 200g (7 oz) firm goat’s cheese, diced
- Preheat the oven to 180-190 C / Gas mark 4-5.
- To prepare the stuffing: In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together.
- Place the joint on a chopping board, remove any butcher’s string or elasticated meat bands (reserve for later), unroll skin side down and season on both sides with salt, pepper and dried mixed herbs. Spread the stuffing mixture evenly over the joint, but do not overfill. Roll up and secure with new butcher’s string or the reserved elasticated meat bands.
- Weigh the joint and place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin, and drizzle with the oil. Roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time (see footnote below).
- Cover with foil if browning too quickly. Remove from the oven, cover and set aside to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with gravy and roast potatoes and preferred cooked vegetables
This recipe works well using boneless breast of lamb too.
Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
Well done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 1.5 hrs in the oven, slow cooker 2.5 -3 hrs
- 5 tbsp of thick soy sauce
- 2 star anise
- 500g stewing steak, cubed
- 1 tsp of red chilli flakes
- 1 pint of vegetable stock ( or 1/4 pint if you are using a slow cooker)
- 2 cloves of garlic finely sliced
- 1 orange cut into quarters
- 1/4pt orange juice
- 1 thumb of ginger finely chopped
- 2oz Fresco Angelico Goat’s Cheese
- 1 heaped tbsp of cornflour mixed with 3 tbsp of water
- Preheat the oven at 150 degC or set the slow cooker on low for 3 hours.
- Chop stewing steak into cubes, trim off excess fat
- Heat the oil in a pan and sear the steak on all sides
- Add the garlic,ginger, chilli, star anise heat in the oil for a minute or two
- Add the liquids and the orange.
- Slow cook or bake in the oven for 1 and a quarter hours.
- Remove the orange and the steak. place to one side
- Warm through the sauce and add the cornflour mixed with water to thicken.
- Add the steak and crumbled goats cheese.
- Serve with a little rice or mashed potato.