The sun is shining and finally we are seeing a little warmth, I have been picking baby spinach out of the tubs, so had decided to make a summery salad to eat. Full of iron and vitamin C to give our bodies a well earned boost.
80g Fresh spinach (I use the fresh spinach from my garden)
2 oranges, peeled and sliced
1 pomegranate, peeled and seeded
25g Flaked and whole Almonds
60ml pomegranate juice
2 tsp (10ml) of Womersley Orange & Mace vinegar
Juice of one orange
1 tsp of clear honey or agave nectar
30ml extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper-to taste
- Add fresh spinach to a large salad bowl. Add the oranges, pomegranate seeds, and almonds.
- To make the dressing-in a small bowl add the juice, vinegar, orange juice, and honey. Whisk in the olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and serve.
This can be made in advance and is much more flavoursome then bought molasses or pomengranate syrup.
Preparation time & Cook time: 1 hour
- 1 litre pomegranate juice
- 4oz/ 100g sugar
- 2floz /60ml lemon juice
- In a large, uncovered saucepan, heat pomegranate juice, sugar, and lemon juice on medium high until the sugar has dissolved and the juice simmers.
- Reduce heat just enough to maintain a simmer. Simmer for about an hour, or until the juice has a syrupy consistency, and has reduced to 300ml/ 10floz
- Pour out into a jar. leave to cool down until cold.
- Store in the fridge. Keeps for up to a month
If you want your pomegranate syrup to be sweeter, add more sugar or a tbsp of sweetener as an alternative to taste, while you are cooking it.