A wonderful dessert served with a delicate crème fraiche ice cream.
So I have adapted the Poached Fig Sandwich with Goats Cheese with what ingredients I have had leftover to make a dessert version instead.
- 6 figs
- 150ml Moscatel
- half a Vanilla pod, or 1/4 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 50g chopped mixed nuts to your preference
- Goats cheese crumbled or finely chopped
- Two slices of brioche, fruit bread, or panettone
- Poach the figs in Moscatel, rather than Beer. No sugar is needed as the sweetness in the wine will be sufficient enough. Add half of a vanilla pod.
- Poach for 10 minutes, as the figs need to retain a little firmness.
- Drain figs and place in a dish or plate.
- Grill or toast slices of brioche, panettone or fruit bread. Then place figs on top with sprinkled goats cheese and place under the grill until the cheese has melted. Add chopped Walnuts and Pistachios to finish.
- Serve with a little more of the syrup drizzled over the top.
Serves 4 – 6
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 55g/2oz caster sugar
- 6 plums halved, stones removed
- 1 vanilla pod split, seeds scraped out (or 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract)
- 1tbsp brandy
- 2 tbsp Icing sugar
- 50g/2oz plain flour or Gluten Free plus extra to dust
- 25g/1oz of butter or sunflower margarine
- 1 free-range egg or Orgran No egg free powder ( follow instructions on packet)
- Preheat the Oven 220C/425F/Gas 7
- Take the all pastry rub thoroughly together to form a ball,
- Dust rolling pin and board with flour and roll out to the width of the frying pan.
- Wrap in clingfilm and put in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
- Cook the plums with brandy in the frying pan, brown sugar and Vanilla, cook until plums are softened.
- Turn all the plums over so that the plums are level, with stone side facing upwards
- Line the frying pan with the pastry, pressing down so that the pastry will attach to the plums whilst being baked.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake in the oven until pastry is golden brown, about 20mins.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for a minute or two.
- Serve warm with double cream, crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream.